The Shunglu Committee formed by former LG Najeeb Jung has indicted Arvind Kejriwal led Delhi government on appointments on the basis of 404 files.
WHAT THE REPORT SAYS
1. The Shunglu Committee report questioned the appointment of Satyendra Jain’s daughter Soumya Jain. Soumya, who is an architect, was made an adviser to Mission Director, Delhi State Health Mission. Her expertise in Mohalla clinics was touted. The file contained no evidence of who approved her appointment. The AAP government paid her a salary of Rs 1.15 lakh from the period April 18 to July 14, 2016, when Soumya resigned from the post.
2. Committee also raised question on the allotment of 206, Rouse Avenue to AAP, a bungalow which was minister’s bungalow used as party office.
3. The committee raised question over allotment of Type-V quarter to an MLA Akhilesh Pati Tripathi for accommodation purpose.
4. The Committee has also said that Delhi Commission for Women chief Swati Maliwal has been provided accommodation despite she not being entitled for one.
5. The Committee has raised objection over the appointment of Nikunj Agarwal as the OSD to the health minister. Nikunj Agarwal is a relative of Arvind Kejriwal.
6. Shunglu committee has raised objection on the appointment of several personal staff of ministers including Roshan Shankar as advisor to the minister of tourism, appointment of Abhinav Rai to the minister of transport, appointment of Rahul Bhasin in CM office, appointment of Gopal Mohan, a close associate of Arvind Kejriwal.
7. Abhinav Rai was hired on a contract basis with the designation of an Officer on Special Duty (OSD). As per rules, the appointment requires a vacant post of Upper Divisional Clerk (UDC). Rai’s salary was raised to Rs 87,000, which is approximately four times the salary of an UDC. The salary of an OSD cannot be raised without the permission of the Lieutenant Governor, which did not happen.
8. Shunglu Committee has also raised question on the appointment made under co-terminus basis, appointments of consultants and contractual appointments without following procedures.
9. Files have recorded instances of foreign travel undertaken by ministers either individually or as head of delegation. It says sanction of LG was not taken for all these.
10. Shunglu Committee is amazed at the number of special councils engaged by Delhi government.
11. Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia appointed Parija P as a full-term member of administration in Delhi’s municipal taxation tribunal. Parija had no administrative experience and was unqualified for the post which required at least a secretary-level officer of Delhi to fill it.